Sofía Torallas Tovar
Office: Wieboldt 215
Ph.D. 1995 Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Papyrology, Graeco-Roman Egypt, sociolinguistics
Since 2002, Sofía Torallas Tovar has been the curator of the Papyrological collections at the Abadia de Montserrat and directs the research conducted by the CSIC and Universitat Pompeu Fabra at the Abbey (http://dvctvs.upf.edu). She participates in international projects concerned with the editing of Coptic texts, such as those on Marc and Shenoute of Atripe. Since 2009 she has collaborated with archaeological missions, like the Qubbet el Hawa (Aswan) Project of the University of Jaén and the Swiss Institute in editing the Syene ostraca.
- (with Juan Gil) Hadrianus. P.Monts.Roca III (Barcelona, 2010).
- Biblica Coptica Montserratensia. P.Monts.Roca II (Barcelona, 2007).
- (with Klaas A. Worp), To the Origins of Greek Stenography. P.Monts.Roca I (Barcelona, 2006).
- "Philo of Alexandria’s Dream classification," Archiv für Religionsgeschichte, 15 (2014) 67-82.
- (with Raquel Martín) "A Magical Spell on an ostracon at the Abbey of Montserrat," ZPE 189 (2014) 175-184.
- (with K.A. Worp) "An Interesting Mummy Label in Leiden," Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 187 (2013) 230-232.
- "Egyptian burial practices in Late Antiquity: the case of Christian mummy labels," Juan Pedro Monferrer – Sofía Torallas Tovar (eds.), Cultures in Contact. Transfer of Knowledge in the Mediterranean Context. Selected Papers,Córdoba 2013: 13-24.
- "What is Greek and what is Coptic? School Texts as a window into the perception of Greek loanwords in Coptic," in Frank Feder – Angelika Lohwasser (eds.), Ägypten und sein Umfeld in der Spätantike. Vom Regierungsantritt Diokletians 284/285 bis zur arabischen Eroberung des Vorderen Orients um 635–646, Wiesbaden, Harrasowitz, 2013: 109-119.
- (with Klaas A. Worp) "New wooden labels from various collections," Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 184 (2012) 257-70.
- (with Klaas A. Worp) "John Chrysostomos and Methodios at Montserrat," in Paul Schubert (ed.), Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth International Congress of Papyrology, Geneva 2010. Geneva, 2012, 745-753.
- (with Raquel Martín Hernández) “'You who impose sleep upon Abimelech for seventy two years': an Egyptian spell against insomnia," in Marina Piranomonte and Francisco Marco Simón (eds.), Contesti Magici, Contextos Mágicos,Roma, 2012: 309-312.